- When we speak, we usually speak in sentences. Most of the time, we are telling or asking something. In this wiki, you will learn more about the different kinds of sentences.
What is a sentence?Edit
A sentence is a group of words that tells a complete thought. It tells who or what, and it tellswhat happens.
- NOT SENTENCES
- My best friend.
- Barks all night.
My best friend tells who or what. I t does not tell what happens. Barks all night tells what happens. It does not tell who or what.
- My best friend found a dog.
- The dog barks all night.
These groups of words are sentences. They tell who or what, and they tell what happens.
Statements and QuestionsEdit
Every sentence begins with a capital letter. There are four kinds of sentences. Statements and questions are two kinds.
A sentence that tells something is a statement. It ends with a period.
- STATEMENTS: Sara runs every evening.
- She jogs around the park.
A sentence that ask somthing is a question. It ends with a question mark.
- QUESTIONS: How far does Sara run?
- Can she run two miles?
Commands and ExclamationsEdit
Commands and Exclamations are two types of sentences.
A command is a sentence that tells someone to do something. It ends with a period.
An exclamation is a sentence that shows strong feeling, such as exciment, surprise, or fear. It ends with an exclamation point (!).